Saturday, January 21, 2006

Birthday Bash, Thailand Thrills

Sorry, it's been a while since I have updated you on what's going on in South Korea.

Well, another birthday has come and gone. The unfortunate part about birthdays here is that you are another year older than you really are. HUH??? When Korean babies are born, they celebrate their 1st birthday and then when the New Year comes, they celebrate another year so you can be as much as 2 years older here in Korea. WHO CAME UP WITH THAT IDEA?? Bummer!! Anyway, I am OLD ENOUGH in Canadian years so forget 'going with the Korean flow' on this one.

I was at second week of Winter Camp at English camp and the teachers and kids had a surprise birthday party for me (pictures will come much later not in this instalment). Well it was supposed to be a surprise but I inadvertently walked in on the preparations. Well I was just in the next 'open' room and could hear screeching noises which was the kids trying to blow up balloons. They had balloons, 'Happy Birthday Heather' on the board, cake, and even firecrackers (which come with the cake). The 2 co-teachers each gave me a gift (T-shirt from the Phillipines from Josephine who is from there and body wash and lotion from Sang Hee) Sheilagh's gift was the cake (yummy!!) After the party the teachers and I went out for pizza (that's the kind of meal I like - eat your dessert first and then the main course!!:) Then we went to a Norabong (Karaoke room). That was a lot of fun and my first experience with a Norabong. Koreans really LOVE to sing and do it with great gusto - whether or not they are on tune!!

The Saturday following my birthday, one of my teachers from the Middle School,Kwang Soon, came to visit me with her 2 daughters who are so delightful - Ga Wan and Lan Joo. They brought me a beautiful purple necklace and earrings set and a little handmade treasure box (this was given to Lan Joo but she wanted me to have it and she made hand made paper flowers for inside - A REAL TREASURE!!) They also brought a cake. It seems to be tradition in Korea to bring a cake to a party but it does not get eaten??? Anyway I ended up bringing it to church the next day AND IT DID GET EATEN THERE!! Hurray!! Nothing like letting everyone at church know it's your birthday AND bringing your own cake. Subtlety was never a strong suit for me:)

Winter Camp finished on Friday the 13th - how appropo and I was officially on holidays. I had the teachers (3) over for lunch to celebrate. That was fun!!

This week I have been 'lollygagging' around getting ready for my trip to Thailand with my fun friend Sasha. I bought a new (large) backpack - why do I ALWAYS pack so much!!??

Wednesday I went into Gwangju to have lunch with Kwang Soon and her daughters for her birthday. Then I got my nails done and then met 2 other teachers from my Middle School, Mina and Yong Hee, for dinner and a movie. We saw 'In Her Shoes' - good movie!! It explores the relationship between 2 very different sisters and in the end 'blood is thicker than water' - what exactly does that expression mean??

Today I have been finishing packing and doing last minute things before heading to Seoul where I will spend a couple of days before flying out to Bangkok to meet Sasha. I am SO EXCITED but a little nervous too. New experiences: getting to the airport OK and on time, finding Sasha in Bangkok airport, etc. Most of all (besides crazy excited to see Sasha) I am going to the SUN!! FANTASTIC!! I DO love the sun!!

That's it for now. Catch ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home