Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy New Year from Yeonggwang

Well another year has come and gone - unbelievable!! Why is it that the older you get the faster the years go (or so it seems!!)? I am waxing philosophical here because I am soon to have another birthday.

Life in Yeonggwang remains the same - pretty uneventful. I have started my 2 week Winter Camp stint. So far, so good. I haven't had to kill anyone yet. The students are Grade 5 and for the most part, except for a couple of boys, are pretty good. They seem to be having fun - learning English?, well we're not sure how much of that is happening, but we try!!

Kevin Loten, who is the minister at the church I attend in Burlington asked anyone who wanted to to send in some reflections of the past year, so I did! On thinking about the last year, 2005, I realized that it was a year of many changes for me - losses and gains. First of all I lost a beautiful daughter to marriage but I gained a wonderful son-in-law, Timmy, the son I never had. Second, I lost (sold) my house of 24 years but gained tremendous freedom by being debt free. Third, I lost the opportunity to be with family and friends for 1 year by deciding to teach English in South Korea but I gained a life changing and building experience of embracing a new culture, people, language and all that goes with it.

Especially in these last 4 months while living and working in Yeonggwang, South Korea, God has taught me the importance and absolute necessity of the following three things:

1. PRAYER – at times when I really felt alone (like being alone on Christmas Eve), I was comforted by the fact that I WAS NOT ALONE because my Heavenly Father was right there beside me and eagerly listened to all I had to say (even if my students don’t listen to me!!)
2. PEACE – this is a lesson that I have been learning over the last decade or so. No matter what life sends my way, I pray for peace. I have heard it said “sometimes God quiets the storm and sometimes He quiets the child in the midst of the storm.” We have no control over some of life’s circumstances but GOD IS IN CONTROL, even when we don’t think so. When I have prayed for peace (often) He gives His peace that passes understanding. FANTASTIC!! It is unexplainable but, nevertheless, THERE IT IS!! I encourage ALL to do the same!!
3. PEOPLE – especially since being in Korea, I realize even more now how important people are in my life – family (really missing Shawna and Timmy), friends and new-found friends in Korea. I enjoy my own company and like being by myself SOMETIMES but I know it’s the people that I know and love that really put a smile on my face (and I hope I put one on theirs). It’s the people that I miss the most.

Those are my reflections of 2005. What are your reflections?

I wish you and yours a blessed and healthy 2006. May the God of all peace and comfort show Himself to you this year in ways that you could never imagine.

I leave you with a few images of my New Years Eve and Day. ENJOY!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home