Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Tale of Three Cities

Time is flying by here in Korea. I have been here about 8.5 months and I can't believe it.

Since my last instalment...I have settled into the new term at my schools....with all the usual frustrations...last minute timetable changes, lack of communication, noisy talkative students.....some things never change!! I thought I was enjoying it more but the verdict is still out at this juncture. But no use complaining...it is what it is!! Let's get on to the good stuff....

As always my weekends are filled with day and weekend trips to various cities not far from where I live...Mokpo, Gwangju and Suncheon. You've heard me talk about Gwangju a lot....one of most favourite times there was a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday, my friend Rachel (she's from Leduc Alberta, near Edmonton)and I were asked to sing in the communion service for Bethel Church where I have been attending. This was the main church and all in Korean. We didn't understand anything but our English Worship Service congregation was invited to participate in the communion service. It was AWESOME!! In spite of the language barrier, it was so wonderful to worship with these Korean brothers and sisters who were there to remember our Lord's passion. Rachel and I sang Amazing Grace and Above All. We sang one verse of Amazing Grace and one chorus of Above All in Korean and the rest in English. The congregation was very appreciative and pleasantly surprised at our singing in Korean. What a great experience.

I didn't see much of Mokpo because the weather wasn't very good but I had a good time getting together with some of the other teachers who are all part of the Canadian Connection group.

Last weekend I travelled to Suncheon about 2.5 hours away. It's about the same size as Mokpo, i.e. approximately 300,000 people so there are actually department stores and Western restaurants like Outback there. Hooray!!! It's amazing how much we take for granted being able to go to a department store or restaurant with food you recognize. It's all part of the experience....educational and enlightening.

This weekend I was supposed to be going to Jeju (Korea's Hawaii, apparently??) but plans have changed and I hope to do that in the summer before I come home. Instead I will be cavorting around the country side taking in various festivals that are happening. Friday May 5th is Childrens' Day (what do they need a special day for ....isn't every day Childrens' Day?? :)

Life in Korea is good but I realize that there still is no place like home!!

That's all for now.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home